Howdy pardners! With the summer conventions over, it’s time to focus on the big shindig this year for Doomtown, the featured Destination Event in the town too tough to die, Tombstone itself! October 26, the 138th anniversary of the legendary Street Fight between the Earps and the Cowboys, finds Doomtown players facing off to badge a new Marshal champion!
What is Tombstone?
From Tombstone’s Chamber of Commerce, here’s what to expect:
“It is three blocks of old west American History …. coupled with a million miles of guest expectations. Tombstone is a living town. It is not a theme park. It doesn’t have a designated time to Open or to Close. The Towns People/Residents are devoted, passionate, driven and sometimes Over the Top about Promoting the Town that they love – Tombstone AZ. All the business throughout Tombstone AZ are individually owned. There are no chain/big box businesses. A lot of the Town folks (men and women) that you see on the street dressed in period clothing are volunteers from various groups here in Tombstone. You’ll see them whether it is 100 degrees or 30 degrees out talking to guests about Tombstone AZ. There is a love for Tombstone AZ and for the United States, from the Towns People here in Tombstone AZ. That Love is palpable… you can feel it. All of the Towns People together try to provide the guests the best Tombstone AZ experience possible. We aren’t always successful … but we are always moving forward. We are the “Town Too Tough to Die.”
What is the theme of the main event?
This year we will focus on both of the current ongoing stories that will come to a conclusion as a result of player choices in this event. One can be found on the Gomorra Dispatch detailing the story thus far told through the eyes of Wendy and Lucy as they came over to Tombstone from Gomorra in October 1881. The other is from the perspective of a posse in May 1882, on track to hunt down the Fourth Ring once and for all. This story can be seen live through Deadlands sessions hosted by the Saving Throw WildCards crew that occurred at Twilight Protocol Part I & II this year at GenghisCon and ChupacabraCon.
In Tombstone we present, Act III: The Twilight Legion, as the WildCards once again will be present to tell the final tale of this series!
With the rise of the Cackler, all has seemed lost. Brave souls from across the Weird West have started learning the truth behind the secret “Reckoning.” In the North, the government fights evil through the shadowy “Agency.” The South gave this task to the Texas Rangers; wherever the Reckoners took hold, they would follow. These two organizations did not work together until the Twilight Protocol was invoked. Yet there is another ‘neutral’ third party whose only interest is the survival of humanity – the Twilight Legion.
Players will make choices regarding characters involved in the Showdown at the Clanton Ranch. Meanwhile, the new Marshal impacts the Twilight Protocol story itself based on whether their deck represents the side of the heroes or the Reckoners. If our new Marshal is playing Fearmongers, a Servitor, or an abundance of Abominations, it will have a terrifying impact in Tombstone for the Deadlands universe!
Any tips on how to get in to town or where to stay?
There are several options available. Shuttles available as follows: Shuttle Tucson International, Arizona Sunshine Tours, and Shuttle Tucson. You can also contact the nearby airports directly: Tucson (502-573-8100) and Phoenix (602-273-3300).
For those in need of assistance, the Pine Box coach (12 passenger van in this case) will be picking folks up on Wednesday, October 23, and dropping them off on Monday, October 28, to and from Tucson airport. Just shoot an email out to firstname.lastname@example.org or talk to us on the Discord server so we can coordinate pickup. We have a few other players driving in as well that have offered to assist. So don’t fret pardners, we’ll make sure everyone is taken care of!
Lodging: We have a block of rooms open for reservation at Lookout Lodge. Contact Krishna at email@example.com or call 520-457-2224 and let him know you are with Pine Box Entertainment. We have double bed rooms blocked off at $85/night for Wed, Oct 23, 2019 to Monday, Oct 28, 2019. Additional options can be found recommended as follows:
Tombstone Grand: 520-457-9507, edge of town
Larian Motel: 520-457-2272, spacious location in town with 14 rooms, but could not be blocked off for the weekend
Smaller hotels with just a few rooms, for those on a family vacation,or want something else:
Allen Street Inn: 520-255-1159
Tombstone Boarding House: 520-457-8075
Sagebrush Inn: 520-457-2311
T. Miller’s Tombstone Mercantile & Hotel & Ice Cream Parlor: 520-457-2405, across from Bird Cage Theater
Wyatt’s Hotel and Coffee House: 520-678-7281
Sounds cool! What’s the plan?
We celebrate this amazing adventure with a full schedule as follows:
Wednesday, October 23, 2019: A Coach Comes to Town
A day dedicated to traveling in and open for everyone to enjoy the town!
Thursday, October 24, 2019: The Quintessential Doomtown Tombstone Crawl
- Design An Auction: Four Deuces Saloon @12pm. Bring your best theme deck and vote on which player will get to Design a replacement of the Auction card from the Doomtown Base Set! There will be both a prize for the Top of Swiss for this event and players will vote on the best theme deck!
- Pine Box Meet & Greet Dinner: Crystal Palace Saloon @5pm. Play some games or just mingle to meet others in this amazing community!
- Multi-Player Round-Up: Doc Holliday Saloon @7pm: Join us and participate in some games of Doomtown multiplayer in different variations of the format as a casual gathering.
Friday, October 25, 2019: The Town Too Tough to Die
- Starting at Can-Can Old Time Photos (336 E. Allen St) we will meet at 10am for a group photograph and then continue on to a day of tourism!
- The schedule continues with stops at the OK Corral, Boot Hill, Courthouse State Historic Park, Bird Cage Theater, Tombstone Epitaph, and San Pedro Conservatory: the site of the Clanton Ranch. Feel free to join us for checking out any or all of these sites!
- A Test of Wills: Johnny Ringo’s @8pm: Play test for the main round-up or just gather for some casual games in the evening! Also at Johnny Rngo’s:
– O’s callout: Thieves take the money and run. Bounty hunters cash in. Unlock achievements, gain attributes, steal ghost rock, collect bounties. David Orange updates this free-for-all GenCon fave with Tombstone twists.
Saturday, October 26, 2019: A Fight They’ll Never Forget (On the 138th Anniversary of The Street Fight)
- Main Event: American Legion (520-457-2273, 225 E Allen St, Tombstone, AZ 85638) @10am: Votes from the Tombstone Series, where you the players decided on who would be involved in this conflict, will come to a head as the fictions presented in the Pine Box era for the 1881 Tombstone Saga comes to a climax. Player votes in this even will choose the outcome as we announce our plans moving into 2020 to follow Jonah Essex and continue tales in the Weird West. Out for Blood and all previous expansions will be legal for this round-up.
- Twilight Is Upon Us: American Legion@6pm (following the Swiss rounds of swiss from the main event) Players can participate in an alternate format for Doomtown and enjoy the final act of fiction being presented for the Twilight Protocol Series trilogy, revealing a major event that occurs in the world of Deadlands. After the Deadlands events that occurred in The Cackler, the skies seem a little darker, the vast prairies a little lonelier, distances between burgs a little longer and more dangerous. It’s almost as if a permanent twilight has fallen… Practitioners of black magic find it a little easier to summon their powers. In Doomtown game terms, all Hexes are cast at 1 less cost. Blessed get hit the hardest by the metaphysical dusk. Where once the powers of light bestowed miracles like rock candy, now they’ve been forced to retreat somewhat. By necessity they’ve become selective, doling out arcane help to their chosen with less regularity and variety than they did in the past. In Doomtown game terms, all Blessed who fail a Miracle pull are then booted. The choice is yours. Any player with a deck containing three or more Fearmongers and/or 1 cost hexes, or a Servitor will be playing for the side of the Reckoners, while all other decks will be on the side of the Heroes of the Weird West. Players matchups will help influence the finale of the Twilight Protocol Trilogy, as told by the results of the cut round on Sunday.
Sunday, October 27, 2019: The Duel
- The Top 8 Face off in elimination rounds @10am at the American Legion, where we will badge a new Marshal and determine the fate of Tombstone!
- Fear Level Variant Event: During the elimination rounds, players may participate in this experimental alternate format, the details of which will be revealed at the event. Deck construction and legality will have a surprise element only to be revealed as players register for the main round-up the day prior.
Monday, October 28, 2019: Heading for the Wagon Yard
- I Do My Shootin’ Before Breakfast: Players are invited to gather at the Old West Chuckwagon @8am to debrief with Pine Box to discuss Doomtown, our other projects, the weekend, or any other topics before departing the Town Too Tough to Die! Pine Box can again assist with transportation to Tucson on this date and information is noted above for locating available shuttles as well.
Players can further discuss Tombstone on the Pine Box Forums.