Doomtown Update: COVID 19

Doomtown Update: COVID 19

Greetings Doomtown Players,

In the wake of everything going on in the world, we just wanted to say be safe. We’re very connected to our player base, and we’re here for you if you need anything. Regarding upcoming organized play with the Savage Lands Series, we will constantly update our calendar with entry dates moving to TBD (Rescheduled) in the initial column. Already, the Doomtown UK Marshall Badge Event has been rescheduled for August 22 and the Doomtown Texas Ranger Badge Event at ChupacabraCon has been postponed to August 15. For the upcoming conventions, we’re working on brand new demo decks to start giving out to all greenhorns willing to enter the world of the Weird West. We have contacted all the round-up organizers to advise them to use discretion and keep us informed in the coming months as their events are rescheduled. The Copenhagen Destination Event is very much being monitored, as it is the only Badge event on the schedule not tied to a convention. We urge you all not to make plans to attend until such time as we can definitely confirm that this event is indeed a go; there is a possibility it may change dates and location.

So, what have we been up to recently? If you’re following us on Patreon, you’re getting updates on our trip to GAMA Trade Show, some progress and background on My Little Demon: The Unglittering. Soon we will have some additional projects to talk about along with an upcoming Backwater fiction. We’re also hard at work finalizing art choices for the next Doomtown expansion, tentatively titled, “Welcome to Deadwood.” If you’re stuck at home with friends and family, drop us a line at pineboxentertainment@gmail.com if you’re interested in playtesting Doomtown, MLD, Backwater, or any of our other upcoming projects. In addition, we are in the process of reopening the online store at pineboxentertainment.com, which will soon feature Doomtown products and beginner/faction themed bundles.

We encourage all of you to game responsibly and hopefully we can join you sooner than later and get back in the physical community of gaming. Remember that Doomtown can also be played online via OCTGN, which has a dedicated channel on the Doomtown Discord server, with folks happy to help wrangle in new drifters.

With love,

The Pine Box Entertainment Team

Tombstone Destination Event: Player Report

by Aaron “Dr. Cthulhu” Schnabel

The fading sunlight stretched across empty Arizona sky. Shadows settled down over the town of Tombstone and the residents of the Town Too Tough to Die were all tucked safely away in their homes or watering holes, as unbeknownst to them, momentous events were poised to unfold.

Shadowy drifters began slipping into town in twos and threes, until gathered at the Lookout Lodge and other locations around town, was a veritable gaggle of grifters, hucksters and ne’er do wells of all stripes.

Thus the 2019 World Destination Event for Doomtown began!

My biggest takeaway from this tournament and the memories I’ll hold onto after the others fade are the ones about the community members and friends I made during this trip, not the games I lost (there were a lot of these), the games I won (there were a few of these) or the prizes I won (I didn’t win any, but I did receive a ton of cool promos).

From the beginning, Pine Box went out of their way to make this event as welcoming as possible. From helping to book rooms, to offering to pick people up from the airport in Tucson, Pine Box went above and beyond to make sure that those who wanted to, would be able to make it to Tombstone.

I’ve never attended a major Doomtown tournament like this, and I don’t actually get to play that often due to a busy family schedule. So it was with a fair amount of trepidation and nerves that I began my journey to Tombstone. I’m a member of the Doomtown Discord server, so I’ve had online interactions with a good number of those attending the event, but I didn’t know really know anyone.

From the start, this community proved how special it is. Joe James (Prodigy) and his wife graciously gave me a lift into town from the airport so that Lapp wouldn’t have to drive back out to Tucson to get me. I split a room with Thunderforge (Will Herrmann) at the Lookout Lodge. I walked into and all over town with various members of the posse, and at each step of the way, I found people who were just as excited as I was to share this experience and have fun in a town that couldn’t have been cooler for our event.

Wednesday was a long day of travel, so by the time we rolled into Tombstone I was ready to crash. Of course I had to be careful to try to get to bed without waking my roommate, who was already asleep. The next morning I officially met Will, and then we headed down to breakfast. I was nervous, since I knew that most of the attendees already knew each other, but as soon as I settled down at the breakfast table, I was welcomed into the group and included in the conversation. Seeing the way that everyone interacted and talked with each other, it was very much like being around extended family, and somehow I was welcomed in along with everyone else.

Thursday was a beautiful and bright day and after breakfast was over, Jordan Caldwell (Zach Seldon), Doomdog, and I took the half mile trek into town. Pro tip: if you’re walking through the scrub of Arizona, I suggest shoes with tougher soles than my Nikes. I got a thorn straight through the sole, into my foot. I had to stop and take off my shoe, and push the thorn through the sole and pull it out from the inside. Next time I’m wearing boots.

We wandered through town before heading over to the 4 Deuces Saloon for the Theme Deck event. The event was slated to start at 11, but we arrived around 10:30 and it was apparent that we were in a tough town because there was already a group of local bikers sitting on the porch drinking and it seemed like they’d been there for a few hours already. The theme event was a fun way to get to meet a bunch of cool gunslingers and see what kind of whacky decks they could come up with. You can see my entry, A Rough Night on the Town here.

After the theme event was over, we wandered over to the Crystal Palace Saloon for dinner. During dinner we were treated to a sneak preview of the Crystal Palace card.

After dinner we all rolled over to the Oriental Saloon and played some casual Doomtown until late in the evening.

Friday was a busy day, and while I won’t recount it all, I will touch on a few highlights. We got to enjoy watching the shootout at the OK Corral, and the Tombstone HistoRama. We toured the Courthouse museum and got to see the original art piece that is featured on the promo version of Murdered in Tombstone that we received. By the way, if you ever find yourself in Tombstone, Puny Joe’s Barbecue is highly recommended.

After we finished our day of tourism, most of the crew headed out to Johnny Ringo’s for the Thieves Callout event, but I was lucky enough to get to head over to the American Legion to play in a game of Deadlands run by Shane Lacy Hensley himself. Our posse faced wild piranha pigs, snipers in the distance, and wily old prospectors before facing down a giant Hell Boar and some of the Whatley’s themselves!

We had a ball, and Shane was an amazing GM. If you ever have the opportunity to participate in a game he’s running, I suggest you take advantage of it.

After we managed to defeat the Hell Boar (without anyone in the posse dying to boot!) I retired back to the Lodge to get some rest before the main event.

Saturday dawned bright and clear and once again, after breakfast we headed into town. We gathered at the American Legion and got registered before settling down to sling some lead. Because I hadn’t had much chance to practice before the event, I had low expectations. I hoped to win at least 2 games… and I got halfway there. Even though I bombed pretty hard, I still had a wonderful time playing Doomtown and facing off against new friends. After the event , I went to dinner with David Hogg Joe James, Dan Agnew, their spouses and we had a wonderful couple of hours just chatting, getting to know one another and relaxing before heading back for the Twilight is Upon event. I played the same deck that I had for the main event, but I fared better this time around. I went 2-1 and felt a little redeemed.

Then we all wandered back over to the Oriental Saloon where I got to spend time with Shane Hensley and Jodi Black, just chatting about all kinds of stuff (and learning a few juicy details for the upcoming new edition of Deadlands!)

I still can’t believe that I got to chill with Shane… my inner fanboy was squealing with delight. I can’t thank Pine Box enough for providing the opportunity that allowed me to get to hang out with the guy who created one of my favorite fictional worlds ever.

Sunday was the Top 8 showdown, but since I wasn’t anywhere near the Top 8, I played in the Fear Level side event. I went 3-0 in the Swiss pairings and faced off against Joe James for the coveted Peacekeeper playmat. He was playing a tuned and tweaked version of the deck I had played in the main event (which I had stolen from him off dtdb.co) and I was playing a Morgan Stables gadget deck. His early aggression and my inability to get any money or find my Force Field meant that he quickly destroyed me. It was a lot of fun to face him though, and I learned a lot from our game.

With that, the official events were finished. That didn’t stop us though, as many of us stuck around and started playing casual Doomtown through the rest of the day, even into the night back at the Lookout.

Monday dawned and we gathered one final time for breakfast. The Pine Box coach pulled out of town and we were a muted group as we wended our way back to Tucson.

We made it through security and most of us ended up in Terminal B (sorry Will and Dave Winner) so we were able to spend a few more hours chatting and some even got a few games in before we dispersed to our various flights.

I can’t really express how fantastic this whole experience was. Playing Doomtown is fun, and the fact that I got to play it for four days straight is awesome. But the highlight is really the people I met and spent time with, and I will carry those experiences around for the rest of my life. I can’t wait until the next time I’ll get to gather with these crazy gunslingers and live in the world of Doomtown with them for a little while again.

If you’ve never been to a big Doomtown event, I really hope that you make the time to do so soon. I have a deeper love and appreciation of this game now than I ever had before, and I made friends that I cannot wait to see again. I won’t be in Copenhagen next year, but I suspect that if you make it, you’ll find me slinging some lead in Dodge City in 2021…

Hope to see you on the trail soon, pardner!

Tombstone Wrap-Up and Results

Fresh back from Tombstone, Pine Box Entertainment looks back on each day of events in “The Town Too Tough to Die!”

Wednesday: A Coach Comes to Town: First to arrive was the Berkeley, CA playgroup, who had the largest showing from any area and had the most members in Top 8! Outings were had to the Wyatt Earp Oriental Saloon, Tombstone Brewery, and Big Nose Kate’s while waiting for others to arrive into town.

Thursday: Design an Auction, Pine Box Meet & Greet Dinner, Multi-Player Round-Up: Players competed on the outside patio of the Four Deuces Saloon to see who will work with Lead Designer Richard Carter on a new Auction card! Zachary Seldon took top of Swiss, earning the new Peacekeeper playmat!

Following the games, everyone joined together for dinner at the Crystal Palace Saloon, a card featured in the next expansion, Hell’s Comin With Me! At that time players did short presentations about their deck, and David Winner was voted “Best Theme Deck,” titled Dora the Explorer, earning him an engraved Doomtown gavel and the card prize!

That evening players joined actors at The Oriental Saloon, as featured from the Kickstarter, There Comes A Reckoning, where Pine Box gave demos to the actors, filming began on the Doomtown documentary, and players engaged in multiplayer games including the use of a poker table from the venue shows!

Friday: Touring “The Town Too Tough to Die” & O’s Call Out: Players and their families toured the town stopping at the OK Corral & Historama, Tombstone Epitaph, Bird Cage Theater, Courthouse Historic State Park, and Boot Hill!

After a group dinner at the Longhorn Restaurant, several players attended a Deadlands game with Shane Hensley himself while others headed out to Johnny Ringo’s for David Orange’s Thieves Call Out event. Players challenged others to gain bounty for notoriety! Lee Patrick Fair was our top bounty followed by Tomas Ramirez as top Outlaw and Will Herrmann as top Law Dog!

Saturday: A Fight They’ll Never Forget: On the 138th anniversary of the street fight behind the OK Corral players gathered for the main event, receiving a special participation prize of a Tombstone-themed bicycle deck, along with promos of art provided from the city of Tombstone for a card titled “Murdered in Tombstone,” as well as special Pedro and Twilight Legion cards! Players competed and voted based on the current fiction on Gomorra Dispatch on who would survive the fight at the Clanton Ranch.

While the sides of the Law Dogs (17 players) and Bayou Vermillion (12 players) fought in this epic showdown, the law succeeded in eliminating Ike Clanton, Johnny Ringo, and Curly Bill from the fight, but little did they know, following the plot from Deadlands: Stone and a Hard Place, the Deadly Drifter himself arrived to take out Wyatt, Virgil, and Doc, as Wendy stared in horror, noticing Lucy was still wearing her badge….

Not only this, but the Cackler himself made it through to Top 8 the next day! Players wondered nervously what would happen if the side of the law or evil would take hold of Tombstone.

Wildcards Twilight Protocol Act III: The Twilight Legion and Twilight is Upon Us: Following a long break into town, players enjoyed a live performance from Saving Throw’s Wildcards, continuing the fiction they began at GenghisCon and Chupacabracon, for Act III, the finale of the series! This will be available online, as the other two acts are, for players to view. During the event, players engaged in the Twilight is Upon Us side event, where Lee Patrick Fair won top of Swiss and tallying up the previous convention events, the side of the Heroes (vs. Reckoners) were up by 1 point, solidifying that the town of Tombstone will receive a relic for the side of the heroes to help against evil.

Sunday: The Duel: In an epic finale, The Cackler (represented by David Hogg), faced against the Law Dogs (represented by Lee Patrick Fair), in a Full Moon Brotherhood v. Law Dogs matchup for the fate of Lucy, who was even in Lee’s starting posse! In the end, Hogg was successful and is our Marshal of Tombstone!

This means in the upcoming fiction by Jeff Bailey, the fate of Lucy will be told, and this will have ramifications on the world of Deadlands itself, as David Hogg will collect data from all that happened in Tombstone and present it to Pinnacle Entertainment Group for use in the upcoming Deadlands supplements!

In the side event during Top 8, a Fear Level Variant event, Joe James took top of Swiss, also earning a new Peacekeeper mat! The action continued as players played Doomtown well into the night followed by another community dinner.

Stay tuned for the epilogue to this fiction after the PAX Unplugged event: Somethin’ About Some Bullets, as we find out how Wendy will respond. Going into 2020, Owen Lean will bring us updated fiction as we follow Jonah Essex to the town of Deadwood!

Pine Box Entertainment thanks Saving Throw, Pinnacle Entertainment, and all the players who joined us for this amazing destination event! Our 2020 Destination Event will be in Copenhagen with the Deadlands: Dark Ages theme!

GenCon 2019 Report

GenCon 2019 Report

by Chase Causey

Wednesday:

I arrived at Kilroy’s a little after 3PM and was able to get in some games with Lapp where I was able to test out my new themey ranch deck on him. It needs a few tweaks to be considered competitive, but I accomplished what I set out to do with the deck and overall I was pretty happy with the results. Rancher’s lariat is no joke y’all! Lapp couldn’t handle the power of the lasso! You can’t use a shotgun if your dude is too busy getting lassoed! After a couple games with my ranch deck I switched to my Amazing Bullies deck and got in a couple games with it as well. The deck bullies very well and can back up its bullying most of the time. I felt pretty good about the deck after getting a couple play test sessions in with it. Lapp, thanks for helping me knock some ring rust off!

Saturday:

I woke up Saturday morning and got into the dealer hall as soon as it opened so I could track down Studio 2’s booth and get Too Tough to Die and Out for Blood as I was missing the the 108 Gracious Gifts home I wanted to play for the tournament along with a few other cards for my decks. I have always used the 108 Righteous Bandits home but chose to go with 108 Gracious Gifts for the tournament because I liked the extra starting ghost rock it provided and the possibility to pitch extra cards during sundown. Now that I’ve played with it I’m still on the fence to which one I like better. You don’t always have the 2 ghost rock to use to unboot your dude so the ability can be unreliable at times. Also, sometimes your opponent is just as broke as you so you aren’t able to pitch extra cards at sundown. That being said there were matches throughout the tournament that i was able to use both to great effectiveness. One game my opponent forgot about me being able to ready and thought I was completely booted out for the turn and I was able to pay 2 to ready and then go and sit on a key control point for the win. In other games where I was searching for specific cards I would pitch 2 cards at sundown to search through the deck to get what I needed quicker. Overall 108 Gracious Gifts is a solid home and a great addition to the Anarchists. 

The Deck:

https://dtdb.co/en/decklist/3029/gencon-2019-winning-decklist-108-amazing-bullies

This was an iteration of the deck I’ve played the last couple years to top 8 finishes at previous Gencons. Sadly I don’t get to play Doomtown that often so I wanted to play something that I knew was tried and true. The idea behind the deck when I first created it was I wanted a deck packed full of cheap chuds with multiple bullets that I could easily turn into studs and bully people with. Also, when I originally built the deck I wanted a  hard counter to slide decks because they can be a pain to deal with and if you aren’t prepared for them you just lose. But how can a deck with only 4 actual influence deal with slide? Two words: Amazing Grace. Hands down the best miracle in the game. It lets you do something that normally couldn’t be done before, it lets your 0 influence dudes threaten your opponent’s deeds. So, with the deck capable of threatening your opponents deeds and being able to handle itself in a fight I was comfortable piloting it for the main shindig.

***DISCLAIMER: By this point all of my matches are fuzzy so if I get some details mixed up I apologize. Feel free to correct me/rehash our matches.***

Round 1: Morgan Stables played by AJ. I can’t lie, when I first sat down I couldn’t figure out why someone would play Morgan Stables over Morgan Regulators as it seems like the better home. AJ quickly showed me why after he moved Jarrett into the shootout and then immediately shotgunned blasted my poor Randall in the face as he was sitting around the campfire telling stories. I completely forgot about the Morgan Stables react of getting to make another play during a shootout. I had an Unprepared ready but it didn’t matter. After losing Randall I didn’t make the same mistake again and played around the home as best as I could. I remember killing off some of his key dudes early on with some taking ya with me’s and then eventually taking control of enough deeds in play to seal the win. Good hard fought match on both sides. 1-0

Round 2: Smith and Robards Trade Show played by I forget, I apologize. 😬 Really the only thing I remember from this match is the first turn. He invented a post-a-tron in his starting posse so i knew we would want to get into fights early and my deck loves to fight. After he went to town square and booted to get his ghost rock I called him out and we got into a fight. He ended up using Luke to put a bio charged neutralizer on post-a-tron mid shootout after I hit him with a sun in yer eyes (I thought he would remain a draw after getting the neutralizer or I would have waited but it was ruled that he would turn back into a stud) so it was a total waste of a sun in yer eyes. Either way the Doomtown gods shined down upon me because after getting longwei’s bonus for being at home and then redrawing two cards I showed a cheatin 5 of a kind. He had to lose a dude and then decided to stay and fight because he thought my hand was a fluke. Since he didn’t punish me for cheatin the first round of the shootout I went all in on the cheatin the second round and threw down another cheatin 5 of a kind. At this point he was forced to either lose Irving Patterson and his 2 influence or the 4 stud post-a-tron. He chose to lose post-a-tron and never really recovered. If I remember correctly I won on control points in the second round. 2-0

Round 3: Fourth Ring played by John. He was playing an oldie but goodie hex slingin fourth ring deck. Amazing Grace shined all throughout the tournament but it shined brightest in both of my matches with John. He was playing blood curses and rumors to reduce people’s influence and then win on control points, but Amazing Grace says no to all that noise and let me stay in the game when normally I wouldn’t be able to. Stevie kept singing those sweet sweet hymns to keep the evil at bay while the rest of my dudes were able to bully deeds and town square. This went on till I remember at one point John went all in with his dudes in town square at a shootout and it didn’t go so well. I won via control points soon after. 3-0

Round 4: The Arsenal played by Max. Max’s starting posse kind of threw me off a little bit since he had blessed dudes and mad scientists! I wasn’t used to seeing that kind of combination together, however it turned out to be quite powerful. He was running blessed dudes for amazing grace and consecration and mad scientists for hydro punchers, at least that’s what I remember. We spent the first turn or two building up if I’m not mistaken and then we got into a big shootout and I got wrecked. I don’t entirely remember what happened but I know ricochet was definitely involved. I lost a few key dudes early and spent the entire first part of the game on my back foot. It eventually turned around whenever I got some more chuds into play and was able to bleed Max out of cheatin punishment cards one round. I started cheatin my face off in shootouts and was able to start causing some serious casualties on his side of the table. I was eventually able to win the game after getting some of his precious influence off the table and some control points down on my side. 4-0

Round 5: Den of Thieves played by Chris, aka Frotop. At this point, the matches were definitely a blur. All I recall was that Chris won and I had enough time to make a run through the dealer hall. I grabbed a quick dinner, returning as the other fifth round matches were ending.  It turns out that both Chris and I made the top 8 cut.  4-1

After the tournament was over some sweet top of faction prizes were given out in the form of little pine box token holders with a picture of one of the factions deceased printed on each of them, as well as a Jonah’s Alliance play mat given out to each player in the top 8. After a little bit of talking amongst the top 8 competitors some decided to play some of their top 8 games Saturday night while the others decided to start first thing Sunday morning. Luckily my side of the bracket decided to start their top 8 games Saturday night. 

Saturday Night

Top 8: Protection Racket played by I forget, again I apologize. 😬 I wasn’t exactly sure what to expect when I sat down because I had never played against a protection racket deck before. I saw outlaws and a bunch of people in his starting posse that worked off of jobs so I just assumed he was planning on shooting me. Boy was I wrong! After the first turn I figured out he was basically playing a slide deck. He called it a job slide if I remember correctly. I think he ended up with some bad hands because he never really seemed to be able to get his deck going. Im sure part of that was because of how aggressive my deck is and how I tried to fight him any chance I could and camped in the town square from turn 1 to make his life a lot harder. After being bullied for a few turns and me dropping an uncomfortable amount of deeds in play he ended up getting forced into a couple shootouts. The shootouts didn’t go well for him and I was able to secure the win and move forward. This match gave me a newfound respect and understanding of Frank Stilwell. He’s a tricksy little bastard and very good for the type of deck he was playing, very fun dude. 

Top 4: Morgan Stables played by AJ again. As soon as AJ sat down for a rematch I started getting PTSD from Randall getting shotgun blasted in the face from our first round game. I knew that AJ’s deck was very good and I honestly wasn’t surprised to see him in the top 4. Our first match was really close and could have went either way. This match was no different. It went back and forth FOREVER. I had to wait out 4-5 turns of not getting lowball in a row so I wouldn’t immediately lose characters to a shotgun or legendary holster if we got into a shootout. I really needed the first play so I could unprepared his dude with nasty weapons on. I had a ton of expendable dudes in play at one point and finally started using them to make AJ have to use the holster and shotgun activations so I could finally get in a more favorable shootout that lended me a chance to kill off important dudes on his side of the table. After a key shootout late in the game that involved me finally getting an oppressive Jarrett Blake off the table that had a legendary holster and pedro equipped AJ was left with very little influence and was left hanging on by threads. He eventually conceded as the game had went on forever and he didn’t see a way out of the situation as I still had a board full of dudes and was dropping more control points on the table every turn. 

Sunday 

Finals: The Fourth Ring played by John again. Another great rematch from the day before I won’t spoil too much of this one as it’s available to watch on YouTube, but I will say that this one was bloody from the get go. Unfortunately most of the blood early on was from my side of the table. John was able to cause some serious casualties with a double cheatin varmit(paid 5 for one and I was cheatin) and a hex slingin! Not good for the home team… Naturally that shootout put a hurtin on my posse and made me play on my back foot the rest of the game. My deck which likes to bully was getting bullied mercilessly by some circus clowns! The shame was real! Luckily I waited a day or two till I had a great shootout hand and then started the offensive against John. I think all of the earlier shootouts that John was winning started to make him overconfident in his decks ability to shoot with mine and he got into a few shootouts that ended up really bad for this side of the table and I was able to reverse the momentum in my favor. I remember the shootout that ended the game I played enough shootout actions on him to where he was only drawing 5 off the top and it ended up being a cheatin hand and I was able to wipe his team with a Jael’s Guile and shootout casualties to seal the win. 

Holy crap! I won Gencon! I totally wasn’t expecting that when I sat down to play on Saturday! Thank you to all of my opponents as you were all awesome people and a ton of fun to play against and thank you to Pinebox for continuing to print a game that just won’t die that I enjoy playing so much! I hope to make it to Tombstone in October but if I don’t I hope to see everyone again next year at Gencon to slap some more leather! 

Tombstone Worlds Event Schedule

Tombstone Worlds Event Schedule

Howdy pardners! With the summer conventions over, it’s time to focus on the big shindig this year for Doomtown, the featured Destination Event in the town too tough to die, Tombstone itself! October 26, the 138th anniversary of the legendary Street Fight between the Earps and the Cowboys, finds Doomtown players facing off to badge a new Marshal champion!

We have a full schedule of social events and games as well as options for those bringing the entire family. Also, check out the surrounding area.

What is Tombstone?

From Tombstone’s Chamber of Commerce, here’s what to expect:

“It is three blocks of old west American History …. coupled with a million miles of guest expectations. Tombstone is a living town. It is not a theme park. It doesn’t have a designated time to Open or to Close. The Towns People/Residents are devoted, passionate, driven and sometimes Over the Top about Promoting the Town that they love – Tombstone AZ. All the business throughout Tombstone AZ are individually owned. There are no chain/big box businesses. A lot of the Town folks (men and women) that you see on the street dressed in period clothing are volunteers from various groups here in Tombstone. You’ll see them whether it is 100 degrees or 30 degrees out talking to guests about Tombstone AZ. There is a love for Tombstone AZ and for the United States, from the Towns People here in Tombstone AZ. That Love is palpable… you can feel it. All of the Towns People together try to provide the guests the best Tombstone AZ experience possible. We aren’t always successful … but we are always moving forward. We are the “Town Too Tough to Die.”

General Information on Tombstone: Chamber of Commerce
Article on Tourism in the Area

What is the theme of the main event?

This year we will focus on both of the current ongoing stories that will come to a conclusion as a result of player choices in this event. One can be found on the Gomorra Dispatch detailing the story thus far told through the eyes of Wendy and Lucy as they came over to Tombstone from Gomorra in October 1881. The other is from the perspective of a posse in May 1882, on track to hunt down the Fourth Ring once and for all. This story can be seen live through Deadlands sessions hosted by the Saving Throw WildCards crew that occurred at Twilight Protocol Part I & II this year at GenghisCon  and ChupacabraCon

In Tombstone we present, Act III: The Twilight Legion, as the WildCards once again will be present to tell the final tale of this series!

With the rise of the Cackler, all has seemed lost. Brave souls from across the Weird West have started learning the truth behind the secret “Reckoning.” In the North, the government fights evil through the shadowy “Agency.” The South gave this task to the Texas Rangers; wherever the Reckoners took hold, they would follow. These two organizations did not work together until the Twilight Protocol was invoked. Yet there is another ‘neutral’ third party whose only interest is the survival of humanity – the Twilight Legion.

Players will make choices regarding characters involved in the Showdown at the Clanton Ranch. Meanwhile, the new Marshal impacts the Twilight Protocol story itself based on whether their deck represents the side of the heroes or the Reckoners. If our new Marshal is playing Fearmongers, a Servitor, or an abundance of Abominations, it will have a terrifying impact in Tombstone for the Deadlands universe!

Any tips on how to get in to town or where to stay?

There are several options available. Shuttles available as follows: Shuttle Tucson International, Arizona Sunshine Tours, and Shuttle Tucson. You can also contact the nearby airports directly: Tucson (502-573-8100) and Phoenix (602-273-3300).

For those in need of assistance, the Pine Box coach (12 passenger van in this case) will be picking folks up on Wednesday, October 23, and dropping them off on Monday, October 28, to and from Tucson airport. Just shoot an email out to pineboxentertainment@gmail.com or talk to us on the Discord server so we can coordinate pickup. We have a few other players driving in as well that have offered to assist. So don’t fret pardners, we’ll make sure everyone is taken care of!

Lodging: We have a block of rooms open for reservation at Lookout Lodge. Contact Krishna at landmarklookout@gmail.com or call 520-457-2224 and let him know you are with Pine Box Entertainment. We have double bed rooms blocked off at $85/night for Wed, Oct 23, 2019 to Monday, Oct 28, 2019. Additional options can be found recommended as follows:

Tombstone Grand: 520-457-9507, edge of town
Larian Motel: 520-457-2272, spacious location in town with 14 rooms, but could not be blocked off for the weekend

Smaller hotels with just a few rooms, for those on a family vacation,or want something else:
Allen Street Inn: 520-255-1159
Tombstone Boarding House: 520-457-8075
Sagebrush Inn: 520-457-2311
T. Miller’s Tombstone Mercantile & Hotel & Ice Cream Parlor: 520-457-2405, across from Bird Cage Theater
Wyatt’s Hotel and Coffee House: 520-678-7281

Sounds cool! What’s the plan?

We celebrate this amazing adventure with a full schedule as follows:

Wednesday, October 23, 2019: A Coach Comes to Town

A day dedicated to traveling in and open for everyone to enjoy the town!

Thursday, October 24, 2019: The Quintessential Doomtown Tombstone Crawl

• Design An Auction: Four Deuces Saloon @12pm. Bring your best theme deck and vote on which player will get to Design a replacement of the Auction card from the Doomtown Base Set! There will be both a prize for the Top of Swiss for this event and players will vote on the best theme deck! 
  • Pine Box Meet & Greet Dinner: Crystal Palace Saloon @5pm. Play some games or just mingle to meet others in this amazing community!
  • Multi-Player Round-Up: Doc Holliday Saloon @7pm: Join us and participate in some games of Doomtown multiplayer in different variations of the format as a casual gathering.

Friday, October 25, 2019: The Town Too Tough to Die

• Starting at Can-Can Old Time Photos (336 E. Allen St) we will meet at 10am for a group photograph and then continue on to a day of tourism!
  • The schedule continues with stops at the OK Corral, Boot Hill, Courthouse State Historic Park, Bird Cage Theater, Tombstone Epitaph, and San Pedro Conservatory: the site of the Clanton Ranch. Feel free to join us for checking out any or all of these sites!
  • A Test of Wills: Johnny Ringo’s @8pm: Play test for the main round-up or just gather for some casual games in the evening!  Also at Johnny Rngo’s:
    O’s callout: Thieves take the money and run. Bounty hunters cash in. Unlock achievements, gain attributes, steal ghost rock, collect bounties. David Orange updates this free-for-all GenCon fave with Tombstone twists.

Saturday, October 26, 2019: A Fight They’ll Never Forget (On the 138th Anniversary of The Street Fight)

• Main Event: American Legion (520-457-2273, 225 E Allen St, Tombstone, AZ 85638) @10am: Votes from the Tombstone Series, where you the players decided on who would be involved in this conflict, will come to a head as the fictions presented in the Pine Box era for the 1881 Tombstone Saga comes to a climax. Player votes in this even will choose the outcome as we announce our plans moving into 2020 to follow Jonah Essex and continue tales in the Weird West. Out for Blood and all previous expansions will be legal for this round-up.
  • Twilight Is Upon Us: American Legion@6pm (following the Swiss rounds of swiss from the main event) Players can participate in an alternate format for Doomtown and enjoy the final act of fiction being presented for the Twilight Protocol Series trilogy, revealing a major event that occurs in the world of Deadlands. After the Deadlands events that occurred in The Cackler, the skies seem a little darker, the vast prairies a little lonelier, distances between burgs a little longer and more dangerous. It’s almost as if a permanent twilight has fallen… Practitioners of black magic find it a little easier to summon their powers. In Doomtown game terms, all Hexes are cast at 1 less cost. Blessed get hit the hardest by the metaphysical dusk. Where once the powers of light bestowed miracles like rock candy, now they’ve been forced to retreat somewhat. By necessity they’ve become selective, doling out arcane help to their chosen with less regularity and variety than they did in the past. In Doomtown game terms, all Blessed who fail a Miracle pull are then booted. The choice is yours. Any player with a deck containing three or more Fearmongers and/or 1 cost hexes, or a Servitor will be playing for the side of the Reckoners, while all other decks will be on the side of the Heroes of the Weird West. Players matchups will help influence the finale of the Twilight Protocol Trilogy, as told by the results of the cut round on Sunday.

Sunday, October 27, 2019: The Duel

• The Top 8 Face off in elimination rounds @10am at the American Legion, where we will badge a new Marshal and determine the fate of Tombstone!
  • Fear Level Variant Event: During the elimination rounds, players may participate in this experimental alternate format, the details of which will be revealed at the event. Deck construction and legality will have a surprise element only to be revealed as players register for the main round-up the day prior.

Monday, October 28, 2019: Heading for the Wagon Yard

• I Do My Shootin’ Before Breakfast: Players are invited to gather at the Old West Chuckwagon @8am to debrief with Pine Box to discuss Doomtown, our other projects, the weekend, or any other topics before departing the Town Too Tough to Die! Pine Box can again assist with transportation to Tucson on this date and information is noted above for locating available shuttles as well.

Players can further discuss Tombstone on the Pine Box Forums.

Law Dogs in Out for Blood

Law Dogs in Out for Blood

by David Avery

Out for Blood Pine Box Entertainment’s latest expansion for Doomtown, features some new tricks for the Laws Dogs: a new outfit, a zombie, plus a new Sherriff.

Law dog’s mad science has always faced three problems: tempo, influence, and bounties. As the forces of law and order move beyond Tombstone and into the greater Deadlands, the Agency has made their top-secret weapon test facility Fort 51 available to the ‘Dogs. The Law dogs already have two outfits that can bounty up opposing dudes. The need to either boot one or more dudes, or catch your opponent cheating, nevertheless limits the efficacy of these outfits. The Fort, combined with Quincy Washburn and a ready supply of gadget weapons, lets you keep putting out bounty. Janosz Pratt also works with the Fort by making dudes wanted from a standing start. The noon action helps alleviate tempo stopping hand jams and keeps your deck flowing.

Meanwhile, Reverend Endicott joins the ranks of ecclesiastical Law Dogs. The good reverend combos well with Father Tolairos to build a Miracle digging engine. Alternatively, just leave the bounty on your opponent’s dudes and fuel the Arsenal.

Classic Deadlands: Doomtown had plenty of lawmen who didn’t let death stop them on their quest for justice. Tombstone Frank, Sherriff Coleman, and of course Andrew Lane (aka the Ghost himself) were all law men battling their manitous as well as outlaws. Sgt. Elijah Clay now joins these harrowed lawmen. He’s expensive, but with the right setup he overcomes having the sun in his eyes, faster on the draw, and other nasty shootout shenanigans.

Law Dogs players have long yearned for a deck that plays around the iconic, but underwhelming tin star. With Out for Blood, that all changes. Enrique Dos Santos wears his tin star with pride, allowing him to threaten any isolated dude. He’s also nasty as he runs ‘em down. Not everyone is a fan of tin stars. Heck, Jasper Stone makes a hobby of collecting them. Enrique can work, however as a possibly unwitting agent of Stone.

Normally Enrique has to go looking for trouble, but with You’re a Daisy if You Do he can stand in town square and wait from trouble to come to him. It’s particularly useful for the Law Dogs when opposing their old foes in the Sloane gang or Desolation Row who can no longer hide at home with their control points.

In Tombstone, Wyatt Earp leads the forces of law and order. Wyatt plays into the aggressive early push that has typified Law Dogs decks since Blood Moon Rising. The more cops who get sent to an early grave, the angrier and cheaper Earp gets.  Earp can go to toe to toe with any of the other faction leaders, giving as good as he gets. He rounds out the already strong Law Dogs cheatin’ punishment theme. Combined with Hattie Delorre, and faster on the draw, you can punish your opponent even more aggressively than ever before. Heck, as long stud bullet advantage with a kings-based deck, Wyatt becomes even more fearsome when facing down opponents at point blank range.